Approximately 12 to 24 million online stores are contributing to e-commerce worldwide. You can purchase anything online, from clothing to fashion, groceries to utensils, etc. You can place your order within a few clicks and wait for it to arrive at your home.
The e-commerce industry has been rapidly growing over the past years. It is projected that by the end of the year 2025, eCommerce sales will reach $7.4 trillion.
If you want to know more about online shopping and the eCommerce industry, you are indeed in the right place. In the following article, we have compiled all the crucial statistics related to eCommerce.
Ecommerce Statistics(Top Picks)
- 2.14 billion people will be shopping online as of 2023.
- 93% of internet users have made online purchases.
- 27% of the population in the world shop online.
- 75% of online purchases are repeat purchases.
- More than 95% of the purchases will be made online by the end of the year 2040 will be made online.
- 6,151 billion in revenue is expected to be generated by the retail e-commerce industry.
- $5.4 trillion is the worth of the eCommerce industry.
- eCommerce will be responsible for 21.1% of sales in the year 2023.
- 74% of the consumers said they liked personalization when shopping online.
- $3.57 trillion was generated by smartphone users in eCommerce sales in the year 2021.
eCommerce Marketplace Statistics
The e-commerce marketplace has grown tremendously over the past decade. It will dominate all the other industries in the coming decade. Let us take a look at the latest figures for the e-commerce market.
- Online retail sales were valued at 4.9 trillion US dollars worldwide. It is forecasted to grow by over 50% in the next four years.
- $3.56 trillion in retail eCommerce sales were made from mobile users in the year 2021.
- E-retail sales are expected to grow to $ 5.4 trillion in the year 2022.
- $988.4 billion is the spending done by eCommerce users in the consumer electronics industry.
- $904.5 billion is the spending done by eCommerce users in the fashion category.
- Approximately 230.5 million US shoppers will be buying goods and services online in the year 2022.
- 27% of the worldwide population reported that they shop online.
- In the US alone, $257 billion was the value of retail eCommerce sales in the second quarter of the year 2022.
- By the end of 2025, Worldwide online retail sales will surpass $7 trillion.
- In the year 2020, $5.4 trillion in revenue was expected to be generated by ecommerce sales in the year 2022.
- $351.65 billion is generated by China in revenue from the retail sector of eCommerce sales on social platforms. The generated revenue is ten times more than the United States.
The following table displays the retail e-commerce sales worldwide from the year 2014 to the year 2025.
|Year||Retail E-commerce sales.|
General eCommerce Statistics
Billions of people shop online daily, promoting the e-commerce industry. Giants like Shopify, Amazon, WooCommerce, etc., have significantly promoted e-commerce transactions. Here are some general facts and figures related to e-commerce.
- There are 2.14 billion online shoppers worldwide as of the year 2021.
The following table highlights the number of online shoppers worldwide over the years.
|Year||Number Of Online Shoppers|
- Only 2.17% of eCommerce visitors are converted into purchases.
The following table highlights the global online shopping conversion rates.
|Year||Percentage Of Visitors Converted.|
|Quarter 1st 2020||2.14%|
|Quarter 2nd 2020||2.25%|
- E-commerce is responsible for 18% of the total retail sales.
The following table displays retail sales made through eCommerce.
|Year||Percentage Of Retail Sales Made Through eCommerce.|
- 68% of online shoppers search for a product on Google before making a purchase decision.
- Fashion shoppers shared that they check approximately 32 pages before making a purchase.
The following table highlights the number of pages checked by online shoppers of different categories before making a purchase decision.
|Category||Number of Pages Viewed|
|Home supply and Laundry||23|
- 3D or 360-degree product Images tend to increase the conversion by 250%.
Consumer Behavior In eCommerce
Consumers play a significant role in scaling up an industry. Who would leave a chance to Shop online from the comfort of their home? People love shopping online, so e-commerce is growing at a high rate. Here are the stats related to the consumer’s contribution to the growth of e-commerce.
- 54% of consumers consider sustainable packaging when shopping for a product.
- 31.7% of internet users reported that they discovered brands with search engines.
- 51% of the customers reported that they consider factors like sustainability and eco-friendliness.
- 52% of online shoppers are tempted by brands that share the same value as them.
- 66% of consumers are attracted to brands that are translucent with the materials they use.
- 44% of the consumers reported that they are ok with the brands using their personal data for delivering relevant content.
- 576% of consumers are concerned about how brands use their personal information.
- 70% of the consumers reported that they like personalization as long as the brands use their personal data safely.
Global eCommerce Statistics
The top three eCommerce Markets are China, US, and UK. People there prefer shopping online over the traditional method of shopping. E-commerce has become famous in other countries of the world as well since the pandemic period.
Let us take a look at some of the top statistics related to global eCommerce.
- The eCommerce market grew by 46.5% in Argentina in the year 2020. It was the fastest growth in eCommerce seen by Argentina.
- There was a 100.6% increase in online sales in Argentina in the year 2020.
- There was a 75% growth in the eCommerce industry in Canada.
- A 46.5% increase was seen in online sales in the UK.
- 38.4% of online shoppers are based in the United States and are under the age of 35.
- Only 14.4% of the American people who are above the age of 65 prefer online shopping.
- UK’s e-commerce revenue will witness 5.16% of annual growth.
Social eCommerce Statistics
Social media plays an important role in the promotion and marketing of products. Most people, especially small businesses, use social media as a medium to sell their products. Consumers also love to support these businesses on social media and buy from them.
Moreover, social media gives consumers a basic idea about the quality of the products. The reviews by the users help them to make a purchasing decision.
Here are a few facts and figures related to the contribution of social media to e-commerce.
- There are approximately 4.62 billion social media users worldwide.
- Almost 30% of US internet users have purchased directly from a social platform.
- $154 billion was the annual spending on social media ads in the year 2021.
- Brands can reach 808.4 million people from LinkedIn ads.
- 18.3% of US adults have made a purchase from Facebook.
The following table displays the percentage of people that have made a purchase through the Social Media platform.
|Platform||Percentage of US Adults Who Have Made A Purchase.|
- 25% of the shoppers reported that they check about the products on social media before buying a gift for family and friends.
- 32% more sales are generated by online stores with social media presence.
- The average number of posts published by eCommerce sites in a week on their Facebook posts is 4.55.
- 74% of the consumers stated that they relied on their social media to make purchasing decisions.
- Facebook is responsible for 85% of the orders received from the brands.
- The number of marketers that shared video content on LinkedIn rose to 65% in the year 2021.
- 53% more likes are received by the posts with photos, and 104% more comments can be seen on them.
- 75% of Instagram users have visited a post or taken other action after coming across the Instagram advertising post.
- The average order value for Instagram is $65 per user.
The following table displays the average order value for customers from different social media platforms.
|Platform||Average Value For Customer|
- 66% more engagement is seen in social media posts with more engagement.
Email eCommerce Statistics.
E-commerce platforms often use email marketing to promote their businesses. It plays a major role in making people aware of the brands and providing various offers and coupons to loyal consumers to promote brand loyalty.
Here are the facts and figures related to email e-commerce.
- Email marketing generates $44 for each $1 spent for a 4400% ROI.
- Email popups in eCommerce convert around 4.76% on average.
The following table displays the conversion rate for email addresses by industry.
|Industry||Average Conversion Rate|
- Email popups with two input fields will outperform all other emails.
The following table displays the performance of an optional number of fields.
|The Number of Input Fields||Percentage of Performance|
- 58% of the top online retailers in the US send welcome emails.
- In 2018, email marketing was responsible for 25% of the e-commerce sales during the holiday season.
- Email marketing is responsible for 20% of the traffic driving e-commerce sales.
- Mobile email popups tend to convert at a rate of 5.8%, while desktop popups convert 3.11% of consumers.
- 60% of the consumers accepted that they had purchased a product due to an email they had received from the brand.
- The average open rate of abandoned cart emails is 45%.
Mobile Commerce Statistics
The purchases and transactions made through mobile phones are recorded in the mobile commerce category. People prefer to shop using their mobile phones and on the go. Here are some facts and figures related to the mobile commerce industry.
- In 2023, it is expected that 8% of retail transactions will occur from a mobile device.
- By the end of the year 2024, more than 187 million active mobile shoppers are expected to be in the US alone.
- The conversion rate of mobile shoppers is 3.5%.
- 61% of the online retail traffic is from mobile phones.
- Digital and mobile wallets are responsible for 45% of eCommerce payments and are expected to increase to 51.7% by the year 2024.
The following table displays various modes used for eCommerce payments.
|Payment Method||2020||2024(Predicted Value)|
|Cash on Delivery||3.3%||1.7%|
|Charges and deferred debit card||3.3.%||1.6%|
|Buy now, pay later||2.1%||4.2%|
- By the end of the year 2025, mobile e-commerce will be responsible for 44.2% of US retail sales.
- By the end of the year 2025, retail sales made through mobile e-commerce will generate $ 728.28 billion.
- 50% of the e-commerce purchases during the holiday season were made from mobile.
- In the last six months, at least 79% of smartphone users had made purchases using their mobile phones.
- 54% of the e-commerce purchases on mobile phones are made through dedicated m-commerce apps.
- Amazon Shopping and Walmart Shopping are the most popular mobile commerce apps.
Shopping Cart e-Commerce Statistics.
Many people save the products they want to purchase in their shopping carts. The platforms notify the users about the decrease in the price or the offers added to their cart when the cart is left abandoned by the consumer.
Let us take a look at the statistics related to shopping carts and e-commerce.
- 46.5% of small businesses reported that delivering free shipping boosts their profits.
- 23% of the people will abandon carts if they are asked to create an account during the checkout process.
- 69.89% is the average abandonment rate of the carts across all industries.
- The crucial reason for shopping cart abandonment is the extra costs that are too high for the consumers.
- The following table displays the reasons for shopping cart abandonment.
|Reason||Percentage Of Consumers That Abandon The Cart.|
|Extra costs too high||53%|
|The site required an account||31%|
|There weren’t required payment methods||8%|
|complicated checkout process||23%|
|I didn’t trust the site with my credit card information||17%|
|The credit card was rejected.||4%|
|The website has crashed||15%|
|The return policy wasn’t acceptable.||10%|
|Delivery was too slow||16%|
|I couldn’t see the total order cost up-front||20%|
eCommerce Platform Statistics
eCommerce platforms are responsible for promoting eCommerce transactions. E-commerce websites provide a platform for small businesses to sell their products online.
Let us take a look at some of the facts related to the top eCommerce platforms.
- 182.1 billion dollars is the market value of Shopify as of record in the year 2021.
- The average ecommerce revenue per person is $89 as of reports in the year 2022.
- Shopify around the globe powers 3,766,071 live websites.
- 32% of the ecommerce platform’s market share is owned by Shopify in the United States.
- $4.612 billion was the annual increase in revenue in the year 2021. It amounted to an increase of 576.43% as compared to the year 2020.
- 12,845 people are currently using Shopify plus.
- The following table displays the top country that uses the Shopify website.
WooComerce is the most used e-commerce platform. The platform enables users to sell their products at a good deal. Here are a few statistics related to e-commerce made through the WooCommerce platform.
- 3,427,679 live online stores are using WooCommerce, making it the most used open-source platform.
- 6,579,468 websites are using Woocommerce today.
- 1,976,858 websites in the United States are using WooCommerce.
- 94% of the websites have WooCommerce plugins.
- USA has the most WooCommerce users.
The following table displays the list of the top 10 countries using WooCommerce.
Around 12 million products are sold on Amazon. With the increasing number of buyers and sellers on Amazon, it has become one of the top e-commerce websites.
Let us take a look at thee-commerce stats related to Amazon.
- Amazon is expected to account for 50% of all retail sales in the year 2021.
The following table displays the ecommerce retail sales made by Amazon throughout the year.
|Year||Percentage Of Retail Sales Made by Amazon|
- More than 1.1 million home improvement products are sold on Amazon.
- More than 50% of the sales on amazon come from third-party sellers on the platform.
- 80% of Amazon sellers sell their products on other platforms as well.
- The net sales revenue of Amazon is reported to be $469.8 billion.
- Net income of Amazon is reported to be $33.4 billion.
- The brand value of Amazon is $705.7 billion.
eCommerce Trends For 2023
The Year 2023 will bring various changes to the e-commerce industry. The e-commerce industry will level up and become more dominant by the end of this year.
Embedding machine learning and deep learning to make e-commerce platforms more personalized will draw more sales and increase the revenue of the e-commerce industry.
Let us take a look at some trends in e-commerce statistics that can be seen in the year 2023.
- Ecommerce sales are expected to grow to a value of $6.54 trillion in the year 2023.
- Turkey will have the highest CAG in the ecommerce sector from the year 2020-2024.
- Ecommerce will be responsible for global retail sales by 24.5%.
- The Philippines and India will lead the retail e-commerce sales sector.
|Country||Growth In Retail E-commerce|
|United States of America||15.9%|
- Social commerce is expected to generate $30.73 billion in the year 2023. Platforms like TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, etc., will play a significant role in e-commerce.
- The personalization experience provided to customers in e-commerce is expected to increase by 10% in the year 2023.
Wrapping Up: Ecommerce Statistics (2023)
That’s all about eCommerce Statistics.
With the increasing demand for products online, most businesses have shifted online. Small business owners start their journey by listing their products online.
They mostly prefer e-commerce websites like Shopify, Woocommerce, etc. It significantly promotes online businesses.
If you are considering shifting your business online, you must do it as early as possible. You won’t regret your decision.
We keep updating our websites with the recent changes in the numbers and figures. If you have enjoyed reading the above article, you can check out other articles on our website.