When we search for the best eCommerce platforms worldwide, one name always appears on our screen “Shopify” – and for a good reason.
Founded in 2006, Shopify has seen lots of ups and downs in its journey. Still, for its user-friendly interface, top-notch marketing and selling features, and 24/7 customer support, it is capable of maintaining enormous growth to date.
But it’s not enough!
To check Shopify’s popularity, we have to delve deeper into some real-time statistics and evaluate its market share. And this is exactly what we’ve done in this article.
In the end, you’ll get a clear idea of how popular this platform is and in which direction it’s heading in the upcoming years.
So, let’s start!
Highlights Of Shopify Market Share
- Shopify ranks 4th among the top 5 eCommerce platforms worldwide, with a market share of 11%.
- As per CMS usage data, Shopify has a 3.8% market share, followed by WordPress.(43.1%)
- Shopify powers 4,582,355 active websites across the world.
- Shopify holds a 2.43% share in the top 1M websites.
- Shopify beats Woocommerce with a 2.75% market share among the top 100k websites.
- Shopify powers the most top-ranking websites worldwide.
- 64% of Shopify stores are US based.
- North America is Shopify’s biggest market.
- Shopify is the 10th largest Canadian company worth $41B.
- Shopify now powers 4,582,000 online stores.
Shopify Market Share In The Global eCommerce Market
Approximately 12-24 million eCommerce websites are there across the globe, and this number is going to touch new heights in the upcoming years.
Data fetched from Statista says Woocommerce is the leading eCommerce platform worldwide as of 2023, with a 39% market share. While Woo Themes and Squarespace’s Online stores are positioned in the second and third, respectively, Shopify ranks in the 4th position with a market share of almost 11%.
However, these statistics imply that Shopify ranks among the top 5 eCommerce platforms worldwide, leaving Wix (another giant eCommerce platform)behind.
Also, if we look at yearly trends of CMS usage provided by W3Techs, we find Shopify ranks second with a 3.8% market share, whereas WordPress ranks top with a market share of 43.1%.
In fact, Shopify has a total of 4,582,355 live websites across the globe, among which 2,933,431 are in the US only. And we’ll discuss it in more detail when we’ll see Shopify’s Market share by country-wise.
Shopify Market Share In Top Websites (By Web Traffic)
- Among the top 1m websites:
|29438 (2.94%)||24,268 (2.43%)||8871(0.89%)|
So, will Shopify beat Woocommerce’s market share in this criteria?
As you saw, Shopify powers 24, 268 websites among the top 1m eCommerce websites and posits just behind Woocommerce, which powers 29 438 websites (2.94%). And Magento comes third with 8871 websites.
If we take a deep look, Shopify is not far behind Woocommerce as far as the study by BuitWith is concerned. So, anytime Shopify can take the lead.
- Among the top 100k websites:
|2746 (2.75%)||1695 (1.7%)||1032 (1.03%)|
Now, if we check Shopify’s market share among the top 100k websites, Shopify becomes the leader by blocking Woocommerce successfully. And Magento comes third as usual.
- Among the top 10k websites:
|386 (3.86%)||175 (1.75%)||159 (/1.59%)|
There are 4762 eCommerce websites among the top 10k websites worldwide. And Shopify again takes the lead surpassing all the giant eCommerce platforms with 386 websites.
In a nutshell, Shopify powers the top-ranking websites (revenue and traffic-wise). But still, Woocomerce is ruling the overall high-quality websites.
Shopify Market Share By Regions & Countries
Here is the list of the top 5 countries where Shopify is widely used:
|The United Kingdom||191396||13.46%|
Now, some key factors of country-wise Shopify market share:
- Shopify rules over 1m businesses in 175 countries worldwide.
- 64% of all Shopify stores are US based, making it the ultimate hotspot of Shopify.
- Shopify’s biggest market is North America, with a revenue share of 71%.
- Shopify is highly-popular in English-speaking countries, and its top 4 countries prove this statement.
- Shopify has made its impression in the Asia-pacific eCommerce market – credit goes to its partnership with eCommerce.
- Apart from the top 5 countries, Shopify is also popular in Brazil, France, India, Netherlands, and Italy.
- Shopify only powers 7974 stores in China.
- Except for Shopify’s Lite plan, its other plans support 20 languages worldwide.
Shopify Market Share By Revenue
Here, we have compiled some facts that’d help you understand Shopify’s market share by revenue. Let’s see:
- Shopify is the 10th largest Canadian company worth $41B.
- According to Shopify’s latest financial report, Shopify currently generates $5.59B. In 2021, Shopify’s revenue was $4.61B. The following chart will give you more idea:
- In 2020, Shopify merchants together generated $307 billion, making it the second-largest company in the world.
- As of 2022, Shopify’s monthly recurring revenue was $109.5 million.
- The total revenue from Shopify’s subscription is $400.3 million.
- Shopify has 111 Shopify merchants with over $1m in sales revenue.
- Shopify ranks in the 10th position among online service companies worldwide.
- By market cap, Shopify is worth $53.33B as of March 2023.
- Shopify’s average revenue per customer is $92.
- Collectively, Shopify merchants contribute as the largest workforce in the world, with an overall of 3.6 million jobs.
Shopify Market Share By Online Stores And Merchants
Here are some latest statistics that would help you get a clear idea of Shopify’s active stores and merchants as of 2023:
- According to BuiltWith, Shopify has a total of 6,372,38 websites. Among them, 4,582,355 are currently active, and the rest, 1792883, are abandoned sites that used Shopify historically.
- Over 6.25 million online stores have been set up with Shopify so far (Since it was founded).
- The number of Shopify merchants increased enormously in the year 2021-2022.
|Year||Number Of Merchants|
|2023||4, 582, 000|
- The total number of Shopify stores tripes during Covid 19 pandemic – that we can name Shopify’s golden age.
- More than 1.2 million people are using Shopify’s backend platform.
- The success rate of Shopify stores is an average of 10%.
Shopify Plus Market Share
As we are talking about Shopify, we must include Shopify Plus – the most expensive solution for enterprise-price-level businesses. Unlike regular Shopify plans, Shopify offers more customized services to businesses with expert guidance.
Now, let’s check Shopify Plus’s market share:
- There are a total of 31,122 Shopify Plus websites, among which 23,143 are live websites.
- Shopify Plus stores increased by 18% in Q4 of 2022.
- A total of 13,847 Shopify Plus customers are there in the US only. And Next is the UK with 1497 Shopify Plus customers.
- Apart from that, Shopify Plus is also popular in Australia and Canada.
- Last year, Shopify Plus stores generated $36.6 million on average per month.
- Best Shopify Themes For Clothing Stores
- Shopify Statistics
- How To Change Shopify Domain Name
- How To Dropship On Shopify
Conclusion: Shopify Market Share (2023)
Shopify is undoubtedly one of the giant eCommerce platforms. And, as far as our research is concerned, it’ll grow more and touch new milestones in the upcoming years.
However, if we compare Shopify with WordPress and Woocommerce, we find Woocommerce is the best choice for those looking for enormous eCommerce growth as it comes with the potential of its parent company WordPress.
On the other hand, Shopify is also a good choice if anyone is looking for a stand-alone eCommerce store without any extra hassles.
Statistics aren’t constant. It’s changing continuously. So, the time will say what’ll happen next. But as of now, Shopify is one of the best choices for eCommerce merchants, and it will continue to be the same in the upcoming 2 to 3 years.
And we’ll update you in our future articles if any change in Shopify market share takes place.
Lastly, one humble request – you can add any fact in your article by linking to our post. Thanks!