Used by 50% of people worldwide, voice search has gained significant popularity. Most users prefer to use voice search over the traditional methods of type searching due to the ease of use.
And guess what? Digital assistants like Apple, Alexa, Google, etc., have made it even simpler. All you need to do is call them and ask your search query.
After researching and reviewing the trusted sources in detail, I have compiled all the latest voice search statistics together.
Voice Search Statistics: Top Picks
Voice search is rapidly becoming the norm, transforming the way we interact with technology. Here are key statistics you should know.
- 93.7% of the search queries are answered accurately by voice search assistants.
- The number of voice search users as of 2023 is reported to be 125.2 million. This number was recorded to be 123.5 million in the year 2022.
- The average voice search SERP is recorded to require just 4.6 seconds to load.
- Every month more than 1 billion voice searches are made by users.
- By the end of the year 2026 voice recognition market is expected to reach $ 27.16 billion. It was sized at just $10.7 billion in the year 2020.
- 27% of voice search users use voice search technology on their mobile phones as of the year 2023.
- Voice search is used daily by more than 50 % of adults worldwide.
- The featured snippets make up 40% of the voice search results.
- 58% of the consumers reported using voice search to find a local business.
- Google Assistant powers more than 50,000 smart home assistants. On the contrary, 45.1% of voice assistant users preferred Apple’s Siri for voice searches.
General Voice Search Statistics
- The average voice search results have a length of 29 words.
- Voice Search results are loaded faster by 52% compared to the average search results.
- The results displayed through voice search have only 1.71% of times similar keywords in their title tag. This shows that keywords do not play a crucial role in voice search, and most results are displayed according to the most relevant sections.
- The voice recognition market is expected to reach $27.16 million by the end of the year 2026. While in the year 2020, it was recorded to be at $10.7 billion.
The CAGR of the market from the years 2021 to 2026 is predicted to be 16.8%.
The following table displays the voice recognition market size in 2020 and 2026.
|Year||Voice Recognition Market Size|
Voice Search Users
- 125.2 million people around the globe tend to use voice search as of 2023. Comparatively, in the year 2022, 123.5 million users used voice search.
The following table depicts the number of voice search users around the globe.
|Year||The Number Of Voice Search Users.|
- 34% of the residents in the United States said that they use Voice Search at least once a week, while 50% of the residents in the United States reported that they used the technology in their daily lives.
Voice Search Usage
- The residents of the United States mostly use voice assistants to check the weather. It is used by 75% of the people for the same.
At the same time, 71% of people use Voice Assistant to play music.
The following table shows the usage of voice search in different sectors.
|Sector||Voice Search Users In The US|
|Food delivery and restaurants||52%|
|Healthcare and wellness||51%|
|Consumer packaged food||49%|
|Making a reservation||47%|
- 58.6% of US residents accepted to use voice search at least once in their lifetime. At the same time, 41.4% of the residents said that they had used voice search not even once in their lives.
- 77% of adults aged 18 to 34 years use voice search on their smartphones. In contrast, 63% of the adults in the age group of 35 to 54 age group use voice assistants from their mobile devices.
- 27% of users use mobile for voice search, while 68% of them use various digital assistants.
The following table displays the percentage of adults in different age groups using different voice search devices.
|Device||18 to 34 Years||35 to 54 Years||55 Years +|
|Not used, but would consider using a voice search||15%||24%||33%|
|Don’t want to use||9%||12%||30%|
Frequency Of Usage Of Voice Search
- 60% of voice search users said that they often use voice search when they are alone. Besides that, more than 50% of the users said that they used Voice search when they were at home with their friends.
The following table displays the percentage of users using voice search in different situations.
|Environment||Percentage Of Users|
|Home with friends||Over 50%|
|Office alone.||Approximately 50%|
|Restaurants with friends||Over 40%|
|Office with Coworkers||Over 30%|
|Restaurant alone.||Over 30%|
|Restaurants with acquaintances.||Over 20%|
|Public restroom||Over 20%|
Voice Search For Business
- 52% of Smart Speaker consumers stated that they wish to receive notifications about promotions, sales, and other deals from the brand they like.
At the same time, 42% of the users said they would be happy to get information about upcoming events or activities.
The following table displays the needs of voice search users while using the technology.
|What Would People Like To Receive From Brands?||Percentage Of Voice Search Users.|
|Information about sales, deals, and promotions.||52%|
|Access to customer support or service.||38%|
|Information about upcoming events or activities.||42%|
|Personalized tips and information||48%|
|Options to find information about store location and hours.||39%|
- 56% of the users said they use voice search on their smartphones to gather information about a brand or a business.
Comparatively, only 28% of the users searched about a business using the voice search of their desktop or laptop.
The following table displays the percentage of users that search for a brand or a business using a voice search.
|Devices||Percentage Of Voice Search Users That Scratched For A Brand.|
|Would consider using voice search to search for business||25%|
|Don’t want t use voice search to search for brands and businesses.||18%|
- Restaurants or cafes are searched by voice search users 51% of the time using a digital speaker or voice search application.
At the same time, 35% of the voice search users search for food delivery using voice search.
The following table displays the percentage of voice search users that use voice search to search about different industries online.
|Industry||Percentage Of Voice Search Users.|
- Voice technology is used by 14% of industry professionals for adding subtitles and closed captions. At the same time, 9% of the professionals use it for transcription web conferences.
The following table displays the use of voice technology by professionals in different industries.
|Industry||Percentage Of Professionals Using Voice Technology.|
|Subtitling & closed captioning||14%|
|Customer experience & analytics||12%|
|Media & comms monitoring||10%|
|Web conferencing transcription||9%|
|Education, academic, research transcription||7%|
|Automotive command & control||7%|
|Digital asset management||6%|
|Chat app messaging||5%|
Accuracy Of Voice Search
- On average, voice assistants can answer almost 94% of search queries accurately.
- Only 22% of times, on average, the results of voice search match across all the devices.
- Google Assistant tends to understand the query accurately by 100% and delivers the answer correctly almost 93% of the time.
On the other hand, Siri understood the query 99.8% of the time but successfully delivered an accurate answer only 83.1% of the time.
The following table displays the percentage of questions that the digital assistants understood and answered accurately.
|Digital Assistant||Understood Questions||Answered Correctly|
Voice Search Devices
- 27% of voice search users prefer mobile devices to carry out voice searches.
- Google Assistant is one of the most popular digital assistants, and it is used by 36% of users. At the same time, Alexa is used by 25% of voice search users.
Let us take a look at which digital assistants are mostly used by voice search users.
|Digital Assistants||Percentage Of People|
- In the past six months, 72% of the users have used voice assistants.
- In the year 2024, 8.4 billion people are expected to shift towards voice assistants. Comparatively, 4.2 billion people used them in the year 2020.
The following table highlights the number of voice assistants used over the years around the globe.
|Year||Number Of Digital Voice Assistants Used.|
- Over 500 million electronic devices worldwide feature Siri.
- Almost 98% of smartphone users reported that they have tried using Siri at least once in their lifetime.
- Siri is reported to use an average of 63 kB per query.
- 62% of iPhone users said that they used Siri while driving or in their cars.
- Over 45% of voice assistant users prefer Apple Siri over other digital assistants.
Google Assistant Statistics
- Google Assistant is powered by more than 50,00 smart home devices across the globe. While in January 2018, it supported just 1,500 smart home devices.
The following table displays the number of smart home devices worldwide that have supported Google Assistant over the years.
|Year||Number Of Smart Home Devices That Support Google Assistant.|
- It is built into more than 1 billion devices.
- Google Home is one of the best-performing voice search devices. It responds with accurate answers 81% of the time.
Amazon Alexa Statistics
- Alexa has gained more than 100,000 skills since its launch.
- In 2020, 10.8% of digital buyers used Alexa for online shopping.
- More than 100,000 smart home devices are supported by Alexa. Comparatively, in the year 2017, only 4,000 smart home devices were compatible with Alexa.
The following table displays the number of smart home devices that have used Alexa over the years.
|Year||Number Of Smart Home Devices.|
- Almost 70% of the smart speakers in the United States use Amazon Echo. By the end of the year 2025, more than 130 million Amazon Echo speakers are forecasted to be shipped around the world.
The Popularity Of Voice Search
- 90% of the users believe that voice search is easier to use than text search.
- 70% of voice search users use voice search as it is quicker and does not require much effort.
- 89% of the people find it more convenient to use voice search instead of the traditional method of searching online.
- 71% of voice search users stated that they would always prefer to use voice assistants to search for a query instead of physically typing it.
- 53% of smart speaker owners completely rely on voice commands for ultimate hands-free convenience.
SEO And Voice Search Statistics
- The top three results make up more than 80% of the voice search results.
- 22.8% of the SEO professionals said that voice search is the most influential emerging SEO factor.
- The SERP feature fuels the voice search results across all devices.
- The pages that tend to rank for voice search load 52% faster.
- The approximate word count of the pages that rank for voice search is 2,312.
- More than 70% of the websites that rank on Google Voice search are found to be HTTPS secures.
Purchasing Using Voice Search
- 33.2% of United States consumers said they had used smart speakers for shopping.
At the same time, 51% of the country’s online shoppers reported using a voice assistant to research the products they want to purchase.
- More than 50% of online consumers reported that they intend to make online purchases with the help of voice search in the upcoming years.
- 8.9 million online shoppers reported purchasing health and beauty products with the help of digital assistants.
- Around 34% of the consumers said they bought takeout food using their voice assistants. At the same time, 3% of people have ordered garments with the service of voice assistants.
The following table displays the percentage of items that are purchased by people using voice assistants.
|Items Purchased using Voice Search||Percentage Of Consumers||Would Consider Purchasing In The Future Using Voice Search|
|Homecare items, electronics||22%||26%|
Google Voice Search Statistics
- More than 20% of the searches that take place on Google apps are reported to be voice searches.
- Around 119 languages spoken around the world are recognized and understood by Google Voice Search. It also has the ability to respond back in these languages.
Smart Speaker Statistics
- By the end of the year 2024, the smart speaker market is expected to grow to $30 billion.
- 52% of smart speaker users use smart speakers almost every day in their day-to-day routine.
- 42% of smart speaker users stated that they could not imagine even a single day without using it.
- 52% of people use their smart speakers in the family or common rooms. In comparison, only 22% of people use smart speakers in their Kitchen.
The following table displays the rooms in which voice search users tend to place their smart Speakers.
|Room||Percentage Of Smart Speaker Users|
|Common room/ Family room||52%|
- 59% of the smart speaker owners reported having only one smart speaker in their homes. Comparatively, 41% of smart speaker consumers said that they have two or more smart speakers in their homes.
The following table portrays the number of smart speakers owned by smart speaker owners.
|The Number Of Speakers.||Percentage Of Consumers|
- Greater China accounted for over half of the worldwide smart speaker shipments. Over 58.9 million smart speakers are shipped in China in a year. In North America, 38 million units of smart speakers are shipped.
In contrast, more than 126.5 million Smart speakers are shipped worldwide in a year.
The following table displays the number of Smart speakers shipped to different regions of the world.
|Region||Units Of Smart Speakers Shipped In The Year 2020.|
|Greater China||58.9 million|
|North America||38 million|
|Europe, Middle East, and Africa||18.2 million|
|Asia Pacific||9.8 million|
|Latin America||1.6 million|
Voice Search Challenges
- Over 41% of digital assistant users fear that they are heard and recorded by their assistants.
- Having digital assistants in their houses is one of the huge privacy concerns digital assistant owners face.
- 64% of the people reported accidentally using a voice assistant in the last month.
- Accuracy is considered to be the leading challenge by 73% of users for the adoption of voice search technology. While 66% of users believe that accent or dialect-related recognition issues are the top barriers.
The following table displays the challenges in the adoption of voice technology worldwide.
|Challenges In The Adoption Of Voice Search.||Percentage Of Users|
|Accent or dialect-related recognition issues||66%|
|Complexity of deployment and integration||29%|
|Flexibility to meet the use case||25%|
|Data security and privacy||5%|
Voice Search And Consumer Behaviors
- Voice assistants are used by 51% of online shoppers in the United States to research a product.
- 38% of the consumers said that voice ads are more engaging and less intrusive than the ones on TV, social media ads, or print media.
- 72% of voice search users engage in voice search with the help of digital assistants. At the same time, 36% of TV or smart home devices are used by voice search users.
- 80% of online shoppers are satisfied with the voice search services. 39% of tem recommend using the services to their friends and family.
The following table displays the percentage of voice search users that uses different devices.
|Device||Percentage Of Consumers|
|Voice search using digital assistant||72%|
|Smart home speaker||35%|
|TV or a smart home device||36%|
|Voice commands to vehicles||31%|
Voice Search Trends And Forecast
- Adults between the age group of 18 to 24 years easily adapt to voice search technology.
- Voice assistants will understand your mood and will respond according to the users.
- The voice search shopping industry is forecasted to cross $40 billion in revenue by the end of the year.
- The smart speaker sales are expected to generate over $30 billion by the end of the year 2024.
Conclusion: Voice Search Statistics (2023)
Voice search is expected to take over the text search method of browsing in the upcoming years. Besides, more than 50% of people will have digital assistants in their homes having access to household items.
Besides, it is one of the most effective ways to search your queries without investing much time and effort. Hence, voice search technology will soon be used in wider aspects.
If you liked reading the above article, check out our website for other such latest statistics.