Since the covid-19 pandemic hit, more and more consumers have shifted toward e-commerce purchases. Besides, 0ne of the most preferred mode of e-commerce purchases is social commerce. As people spend most of their time on mobile devices and social media, they are more likely to make purchases from social media platforms.
Hence, with the increasing popularity of the social commerce market, it is set to cross trillion-dollar sales by the end of the year 2023. Moreover, the social commerce market is expected to reach $1.298 trillion as of 2023.
Want to know more about social commerce market size?
In the following article, we have compiled all the latest statistics related to social commerce and its market size. Before adding, we researched and reviewed all the facts and figures from trusted sources.
Social Commerce Market Size
- Global sales through social media platforms are expected to reach $1.298 trillion in the year 2023.
The following table shows the value of social commerce sales worldwide over the years.
|Year||Value Of social commerce|
Growth of Global Social Commerce Market Size
- The social commerce market is expected to increase by 30.8% from the year 2021 to 2025. The difference in annual growth rates is negligible.
Besides, the social commerce market is expected to grow at a rate of 35.3% in the year 2026.
The following table displays the percentage growth rate of the social commerce market over the years.
|Year||Percentage Growth Rate|
Global Social Commerce Revenue
- The social commerce revenue in the year 2023 is expected to reach $947 billion. Comparatively, in the year 2027, the revenue of social commerce is forecasted to reach $2,771 billion.
The following table displays the revenue that is expected to be generated by social commerce over the years.
|Year||Revenue Generated By Social Commerce.|
Social Commerce Buyers
- The highest share of social commerce buyers worldwide belongs to Thailand. In the year 2022, almost 88% of consumers used social networks to purchase products. At the same time, 62% of the consumers said that they completed transactions instantly on the platform.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers that buy from social networks and the percentage of consumers that pay directly on the platform.
|Country||Social Commerce||On-Platform Social Commerce|
|United Arab Emirates||86%||49%|
Social Commerce Engagement
- Thailand is reported to have 85% of social commerce engagement and is the country with the highest social commerce engagement. It is followed by India and China, which have 80% and 77% social commerce engagement, respectively.
The following table displays the countries with the highest rate of social commerce engagement.
|Country||Percentage Of Social Commerce Engagement.|
- The United Kingdom has the lowest social commerce engagement worldwide. Only 23% of buyers prefer social networks to purchase goods. Besides, France and Germany have only 24% of the social commerce engagement.
The following table shows the countries with the lowest social commerce engagement.
|Country||Percentage Of Social Commerce.|
Social Commerce Spending
- Gen Z is expected to have a 29% share in social commerce spending by the year 2025. At the same time, millennials are expected to have the highest share of 33% in social commerce spending.
The following table displays the percentage of social commerce spending worldwide by different generations that will be made by the end of the year 2025.
|Generation||Percentage Share Of Spending|
Social Commerce In The United States.
- In the year 2023, the social commerce gross merchandise value in the United States is predicted to be $61.55 billion. Besides, in the year 2022, this value was approximately $51.84 billion.
The following table displays the social commerce gross merchandise value in the United States.
|Year||Social Commerce Gross Merchandise Value In The United States|
- As of the year 2023, the number of social commerce buyers in the United States is forecasted to reach 102.6 million. Comparatively, in the year 2021, it was 96.9 million.
The number of social commerce buyers in the United States over the years is as follows:
|Year||Number Of Social Buyers In The United States.|
- In the year 2022, almost 62% of social commerce consumers preferred Facebook for online shopping. At the same time, 40% of the social commerce buyers preferred Instagram.
Further, 60.7% of social commerce buyers are expected to use Facebook for online shopping in the year 2025. Besides, 41.5% of consumers are forecasted to use Instagram.
The following table displays the percentage of social commerce users that purchase from leading social media platforms in the United States.
|Social Media Platform||2022||2025|
- 19% of digital shoppers prefer Facebook for online shopping. Besides, 12% of digital shoppers choose Instagram, while 9% choose YouTube.
The following table displays the percentage of digital shoppers that choose leading social media platforms for online shopping.
|Social Media Platform||Percentage Of Digital Shoppers.|
- Tablet has the highest share of visits to e-commerce websites from social media. It accounted for 21% of the visits redirected to the e-commerce website by social media platforms. It is followed by smartphones having an 11% share of the visits from social media as of the 3rd quarter of the year 2022.
Besides, desktops redirected only 2% of the traffic to e-commerce websites through social media platforms.
The following table shows the percentage share of visits that are directed from social media sites to e-commerce websites in the United States.
Social Media Use By Marketers
- 41% of the Marketers said that they are planning to increase their Facebook marketing in the year 2023. At the same time, 61% of marketers are looking forward to increase their spending on Instagram marketing in the year 2023.
The following table displays the percentage of marketers that will increase or decrease their marketing purposes for social media platforms in the year 2023.
|Social Media Platform||Increase||Decrease||Stay The same||No Plans To utilize|
- 25% of the marketers and brands said that they are planning to invest 10 to 20% in influencer marketing from their marketing budgets. Comparatively, 23% of marketers are looking forward to spending more than 40% on influencer marketing.
|Percentage Of Expenditure On Influencer Marketing||Percentage Of Marketers.|
- 29% of consumers tend to purchase products directly from social media platforms. Comparatively, 66% of consumers purchase products they have viewed on social media from a shopping website or an app.
The following table displays the percentage of online shopping methods for the products that they have seen on the social media platform.
|Consumers That Purchase Products Are Viewed On Social Media Through Different Methods.||Percentage Of Buyers|
|I bought something online via a shopping website or app||66%|
|I bought something online via the brand’s own website or app||64%|
|I bought something directly from the platform||29%|
Leading Social Commerce Platforms Worldwide
- 51% of the consumers in Australia purchase from instagram, while 47% of the people from the country purchase from Instagram. At the same time, in the United States, 59% of the people in the United States purchase from Facebook, 46% of the people purchase from Instagram, and 33% of the residents prefer TikTok for purchases.
The following table displays the percentage of people from different countries of the world that prefer different social media sites.
- 24% of the consumers purchase products from instagram. At the same time, 33% of people prefer to purchase from Facebook.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers that prefer different social media platforms to purchase goods.
|Social Media Platform||Percentage Of Consumers|
- According to 3 1% of consumers, Facebook offers the best social commerce experience worldwide. At the same time, only 3% of consumers say that Pinterest offers a great social commerce experience.
The following table displays the social media platforms that offer great social commerce experiences according to the consumers.
|Social Media Platform||Percentage Of Consumers.|
- 37% of the consumers in North America purchase from the Facebook marketplace or from Instagram shopping.While 42% of the people from Latin America purchase from them.
Besides, 33% of Global consumers use Facebook Marketplace or Instagram shopping bags.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers in different regions of the world that use Facebook Marketplace or Instagram Shopping Bag.
|Region||Percentage Of Consumers|
|Middle East and Africa||38%|
- India has the highest number of WhatsApp business downloads on Android as well as iOS. The number of downloads of the WhatsApp Business App is recorded to be 291.58 million. It is followed by Indonesia, with the second-highest number of App downloads at 73.12 million.
The following table displays the number of WhatsApp business App downloads in the top ten countries around the world.
|Country||Number Of WhatsApp Business App Downloads.|
Social Media Purchases
- 63% of the shoppers said that they made a purchase from a social media channel without having planned anything about it. At the same time, 14% of social media shoppers said that they made a planned purchase from a channel.
On the other hand, 23% of the consumers said that they made an impulsive purchase from a social media platform as they liked the product.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers that purchased a product from a social media platform without planning, impulsively, and after planning it.
|Type Of Purchase||Percentage Of Social Media Shoppers.|
- The highest purchases through social media platforms were recorded for video games and accessories. 44% of the social commerce sales belonged to the category.
It was followed by the toy and hobbies category and the apparel and accessories category. They had a purchase share of 29% and 26%.
The following table displays the percentage of purchase share of the leading categories worldwide.
|Category||Percentage Of Purchases|
|Video games and accessories||44%|
|Toys and hobbies||29%|
|Jewelry and watches||26%|
|Apparel and accessories||25%|
|Books, e-books, and audiobooks.||23%|
|Food and drinks||22%|
|Events and event tickets||20%|
|Music, movies, and videos||19%|
|Sports and fitness||18%|
|Digital content and subscriptions||16%|
|Home and garden||15%|
|APps and Sioware||14%|
|Phones and mobile devices||14%|
|Flowers and miscellaneous gifts||11%|
|Furniture, appliances, and equipment||10%|
|Computers and peripherals||10%|
|Tools and hardware||7%|
|Niche and boutique items||7%|
- 30% of the social media shoppers in the United States purchased apparel from social media platforms. At the same time, 31% of the consumers ordered food delivery and takeaway from the social media platform.
Besides that, 22% of online consumers purchased from social media for beauty products.
The following table displays the percentage of social media shoppers that purchased different categories of products from social media.
|Category||China||United States||United Kingdom||Japan.||Germany|
|Auto or auto parts||14%||9%||8%||1%||6%|
- The possibility to easily return the product and get refunds is considered one of the most important features of social commerce. Besides, providing a clear description and images of the products is considered to be an important feature by 29% of social commerce consumers.
The following table displays the important social commerce features according to the consumers.
|Important Features||Percentage Of Consumers.|
|Clear descriptions and images||29%|
|Ratings/reviews from buyers||21%|
|Data protection measures||17%|
- As of 2023, deals and discounts are reported to be the top factors that motivated online shoppers to increase their usage of social commerce. Almost 36% of social media shoppers claimed it to be one of the greatest drivers.
Besides, 32% of the consumers considered ease of purchase to be one of the crucial factors when they are shopping from a social commerce site.
The following table shows the leading factors that encourage online shoppers to use social commerce.
|Factors Driving Shoppers Towards Social Commerce.||Percentage Of Consumers.|
|Discounts and deals||36%|
|Easy to purchase process.||32%|
|More number of consumer reviews.||24%|
|Greater availability of the product.||22%|
|Seeing the products used by real customers.||21%|
|Faster and quick payments.||20%|
|Service and delivery update||18%|
|Early access to exclusive products.||16%|
|Influencers and endorsements.||14%|
- Social media shoppers said that they like the option of a one-click purchase from social media platforms. 36% of online consumers somewhat agreed with this opinion, while 421% of the shoppers strongly agreed with it.
Besides, 33 % of the consumers somewhat agreed that they found it convenient to shop from social media platforms, while 39% of the shoppers strongly agreed to it.
The following article shows the reason consumers are towards the openness of social commerce.
|Reason for openness towards social media shopping.||Percentage of shoppers that strongly agree.||Percentage of shoppers that somewhat agree.|
|They like the option of one-click purchases||42%||36%|
|They find it easy to shop on social media.||39%||33%|
|They need more opportunities to shop on social media platforms.||40%||32%|
- 59% of the millennials followed and purchased goods from the social media accounts of the brands. Besides, 47% of GenZ followed influencers and purchased products from them. At the same time, 55% of the Baby Boomers and 54% of Gen X consumers purchase products from the social media accounts of retailers.
The following table displays the types of social media accounts followed by different generations to purchase the products.
- 77% of the consumers said that social media helps them to get ideas about products they have never thought about. At the same time, 70% of consumers said that social media has helped them to decide what to buy.
The following table shows how social media has contributed to product discovery to the purchase cycle of a consumer.
|Ways in which social media has contributed to the purchase cycle of a consumer.||Percentage of Consumers.|
|Helps to get ideas about a product or a brand that they had never thought about||77%|
|Ha inspired the consumer to find out details about a brand or a product.||77%|
|Inspired the consumer to shop for a product when they were not interested in buying one.||71%|
|Helped the consumer to decide what they had to buy.||70%|
- According to 28% of the consumers, the leading source of inspiration is Social media. Comparatively, 34% of consumers say that Marketplaces are the leading sources of inspiration for their purchases.
The following table displays the sources of online purchases according to the consumers.
|Source Of Inspiration||Percentage Of Consumers.|
- The leading online source where consumers search for products is the leading marketplace in the region, according to 36% of the consumers. Comparatively, 23% of the consumers said that social media sites are the leading places where they search for the product they need.
The following table displays the leading places where consumers search for the products.
|Leading Place Where Consumers Search For The Products.||Percentage Of Consumers.|
|The leading marketplace in the region||36%|
|Social media sites||23%|
- 41% of online consumers in Australia said that they had purchased a product after seeing it on social media. Besides, 40% of the consumers in the United States said the same. However, only 30% of the shoppers in Belgium shopped for a product after coming across it on social media.
The following table displays the percentage of online shoppers that purchased a product after coming across it on social media across different countries.
|Country||Percentage Of Online Shoppers Purchasing A Product That They Saw On Social Media.|
- 51% of the millennials said that they get the best offers for a [product on social media. Besides, 46% of the Post-millennials agreed with the millennials.
However, only 30% of the Boomers agreed with the millennials, while 70% of the boomers said that they do not get the best offer on the products that they have come across on social media platforms.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers from different generations that get the best products on social media.
|Generation||Percentage Of Online Consumers.|
- 78% of the online purchasers said that they discovered a new product while they were watching a content creator. At the same time, 72% of the consumers said that they find it to be useful when a content creator educates about a brand or a product.
The following table displays consumer opinions about the social content creator.
|Consumer’s Opinion||Percentage Of Consumers.|
|They found new products while they were watching a content creator’s video.||78%|
|They gained useful information about a brand or a product from the content creator||76%|
|They like learning about a new product from the content creator.||75%|
|Content creators inspired them to try out a new product or a brand.||73%|
|They find it useful when content creators share information about a brand or a product.||72%|
Conclusion: Social Commerce Market Size (2023)
Social media platforms already have thousands of businesses running their marketing campaigns. Besides, these platforms have added shopping and payments option as well to support social commerce. Hence, online purchases from these platforms have increased tremendously.
Besides, by the year 2027, social commerce is expected to be one of the most significant modes of e-commerce purchases.
That’s all about social commerce market size. If you have enjoyed reading the above statistic, you can check out the related statistics from our website.
Have you tried shopping from social media platforms?