According to the figures received from the US Department of Commerce, e-commerce in the United States has dramatically grown over the past three years.
In the year 2022, e-commerce sales in the United States crossed the $1 trillion mark. Moreover, e-commerce sales in the US are forecasted to hit the $1.23 trillion benchmark in $1.23 trillion
Hence, due to the increase in sales in the US, e-commerce in the country is expected to generate 1.011 trillion by the end of the year 2023.
In the following article, we have compiled all the latest facts and figures related to e-commerce in the United States. We have gathered all the data from trusted and official resources.
So, what’s the wait for? Let’s take a closer look at the details of e-commerce in the United States.
US e-Commerce Sales: Top Picks
US eCommerce sales refer to the buying and selling of goods and services online through various digital platforms and websites.
- The e-commerce sales in the year 2023, sales are expected to cross $1.23 trillion.
- As of 2023, US e-commerce owns a 14.7% share of total retail sales in the United States. Comparatively, in the year 2019, it held 11.3% of the share.
- Ecommerce sales are expected to reach $1 trillion in 2023.
- Retail e-commerce is predicted to generate $1,994 as the average revenue per user in the year 2023.
- 74.2% of American residents are expected to purchase goods online in 2023. Comparatively, in the year 2021, only 72.7% of the population in the United States purchased products from e-commerce platforms.
- More than half of the e-commerce shoppers in the United States purchase clothes online. At the same time, 42% of shoppers prefer to buy shoes online.
- The E-commerce shoppers in the United States have spent the maximum on purchasing electronic products online. They have spent almost 40% of their e-commerce spending on electronics.
In contrast, 37% of the e-commerce spending by online shoppers is recorded in the clothing and footwear category.
- 66% of online shoppers utilize smartphones for online purchases. At the same time, 41% of consumers use laptops to place e-commerce orders.
- 48.9% of e-commerce shoppers belong to the age group of 18 to 24 years. At the same time, 35.5% of online shoppers belong to the age group of 25 to 34 years.
- 55.8% of online shoppers are male, while 44.2% of e-commerce shoppers are female.
US e-commerce Sales
- In the year 2023, e-commerce sale is expected to reach $1.230 trillion. Further, in the year 2025, it is forecasted to reach $1.607 trillion.
The following table displays the retail e-commerce sales generated over the years.
|Year||Retail e-commerce Sales|
- The compound annual growth rate of retail e-commerce sales in the food category is expected to be 24%. Besides, beverages are predicted to have a retail e-commerce CAGR of 19.1% in the United States.
Above all, retail e-commerce sales are expected to have a CAGR of 12.7% from the year 2017 to 2027.
The following table is expected to have retail e-commerce sales CAGR of different categories recorded in the United States.
|Year||Retail e-commerce CAGR.|
|Beauty, Health, Personal & Household Care||14.5%|
|Toys, Hobby & DIY||13.5%|
- Automobile and auto parts had the highest expected year-over-year growth between the years 2021 to 2022. It was followed by the food and beverages category, with a growth rate of 20.7%.
The following table displays the percentage year-over-year growth rates of retail e-commerce in different categories between the years 2021 to 2022.
|Category||Year-Over-Year e-Commerce Sales Growth.|
|Auto & Parts||30.1%|
|Food & beverage||20.7%|
|Apparel & Accessories||15.4%|
|Health, personal care & beauty||15.1%|
|Cosmetics & beauty||19.6%|
|Computer & consumer electronics||15%|
|Office equipment & supplies||14%|
|Toys & hobby||12%|
|Furniture & home furnishings||10.3%|
|Books, music & video||8.4%|
- In the year 2021, the food and beverages businesses generated $26.7 billion in e-commerce sales. Besides, the e-commerce sales of apparel and clothing in the United States were recorded at around $20.5 billion.
The following table shows the total retail and e-commerce sales of different businesses in the United States.
|Business||Retail e-commerce Sales.||Total Retail Sales|
|Motor vehicle and parts dealers||NA||1,484.1 billion|
|Furniture and home furnishings stores||4.53 billion||140.59 billion|
|Electronics and appliance store||2.76 billion||93.5 billion|
|Building materials, garden equipment, and supplies dealers||2.85 billion||480.95 billion|
|Food and beverage stores||26.71 billion||889.15 billion|
|Health and personal care stores*||NA||387 billion|
|Gasoline stations||NA||566.09 billion|
|Clothing and clothing accessories stores||20.5 billion||290.65 billion|
|Sporting goods, hobbies, musical instruments, and bookstores||6.33 billion||102.49 billion|
|General merchandise store||NA||797.7 billion|
|Miscellaneous store retailers||8.72 billion||159.5 billion|
|Nonstore retailers||823.8 billion||1,130.88 billion|
|Electronic shopping and mail-order houses||820.84 billion||1,027.97 billion|
US e-Commerce Share
- The share of e-commerce in the US retail sales was recorded to be 14.7% in the fourth quarter of the year 2022. Comparatively, e-commerce share in retail sales was 14.5% during the same period
The following table displays the e-commerce share from the total retail sales in the United States.
|Quarter||Percentage Share Of The e-Commerce Sales.|
- The in-store retail sales share is expected to reach 83.6% in the year 2023. At the same time, e-commerce sales share is forecasted to reach 16.4%.
Besides, in the year 2022, the e-commerce sales share was recorded to be 85%, and the in-store sales share was reported to be 15%. Further, in the year 2026, retail e-commerce sales are predicted to reach 21.2%, while in-store sales are predicted to reach 78.8%.
The following table displays the percentage share of retail e-commerce and in-store sales.
|Year||Retail In-Store Sales Share||Retail e-commerce Sales Share.|
- E-commerce accounts for 68.5% of the manufacturing shipments in the United States as of 2020. At the same time, online sales were responsible only for 14.6% of the total retail trade shipment and revenue in the United States.
The following table displays the percentage of e-commerce B2B and B2C shipments, sales and revenue in the United States according to the sector.
|Service industries revenue||7.9%||8.2%|
|Retail trade sales||10.6%||14.6%|
|Merchant wholesale trade¹ sales||33.6%||35.6%|
US e-commerce Revenue
- The e-commerce market in the United States is expected to generate a revenue of $1.011 trillion in the year 2023. Besides, in the year 2022, it generated a revenue of $856.8 billion.
Further, it is expected to generate $1.563 trillion in the year 2027.
The following table depicts the revenue generated by e-commerce sales in the United States over the years.
|Year||Revenue Generated by e-commerce Sales In The United States.|
Retail e-commerce ARPU In The US
- Retail e-commerce generated an average revenue per user of $1,784.2. Besides, it is expected to generate $1,994 in the year 2023. Further, in the year 2027, it is expected to generate $1,935 by the end of the year 2025.
The following table displays the average retail e-commerce revenue per user over the years in the United States.
|Year||Retail e-commerce Average Revenue Per User|
E-commerce Purchases In The US
- 51% of the consumers reported that their most common online purchase was clothing. Besides, 42% of online shoppers said that they mostly purchased shoes online. It was followed by bags and accessories, with 33% of online shoppers having it as their most common online purchase.
The following table displays the most common category purchased online.
|Category||Percentage Of Online Shoppers|
|Bags & accessories||33%|
|Cosmetics & body care||26%|
|Food & beverages||26%|
|Books, movies, music & games||24%|
|Drugstore & health products||21%|
|Bags & luggage||16%|
|Furniture & household goods||14%|
|Toys & baby products||14%|
|Sports & outdoor products||13%|
|Stationery & hobby supplies||13%|
|DIY & garden products||12%|
|I have not bought anything online||7%|
E-commerce Buyers In The US
- In the year 2023, 74.2% of the American population is expected to purchase online products. Comparatively, in the year 2021, 74.3% of the consumers in the United States purchased online goods.
Besides,80.4% of the consumers in the United States are expected to purchase products online in the year 2025.
The following table displays the percentage of consumers that purchase goods online over the years.
|Year||Percentage Of Consumers In The United States.|
- The social commerce industry is expected to have 107.6 million buyers by the end of the year 2023. Besides, in the year, it is forecasted to have 114.3 million buyers.
However, in the year 2021, Social commerce had only 96.9 million consumers.
The following table displays the number of social commerce buyers in the United States over the years.
|Year||Number Of e-Commerce Buyers|
- Consumers in the United States spend the highest share of online shopping in the electronics category. They have spent approximately 40% in the electronics sector. Besides, 37% of the spending was recorded in the clothing and footwear category.
The following table shows the spending share among consumers in the United States as of August 2022, according to the category.
|Category||Percentage Of Consumer Spending In The United States.|
|Clothing & footwear||37%|
|Restaurants & takeout food||27%|
- Consumer satisfaction with online retail as measured by American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) score in the year 2021 was recorded to be 77. Similarly, the ACSI score of e-retail in the year 2020 was reported to be 78.
The following table displays the ACSI score of e-retail over the years.
- 44% of US online shoppers said that they do some research on the internet before making a major purchase. Besides, 43% of the consumers said that they go through consumer reviews before buying a product, and they find it very helpful.
The following table displays the attitude of online shoppers in the United States toward online shopping.
|The Attitude Of Online Consumers||Percentage Of Online Consumers.|
|They always tend to do some research before making a major purchase.||44%|
|They look for customer reviews on the internet as they are very helpful.||43%|
|prefer to purchase goods from different sellers from the same e-commerce marketplace||32%|
|want to see and touch an item before they buy it.||27%|
|When they order a product, they prefer express shipping.||25%|
|They usually make major new purchases directly through a tablet or smartphone.||21%|
|They want to hold their product in their hand the same day they purchased it.||21%|
|They miss the shopping experience when they shop online||19%|
|They manage the recurrent order directly on smartphones or tablets.||18%|
|Sometimes, they deliberately order more products than they want to keep.||12%|
|None of the above||12%|
- 55% of consumers in the United States said that direct home delivery is the reason they prefer to shop online. Besides, 49% of e-commerce shoppers said that they like to avoid crowds, and hence, they prefer shopping online.
Moreover, 48% of the consumers in the United States said that online shopping is more convenient, while 47% of the shoppers said that they could avail goods at lower prices while shopping online.
The following table displays the drovers of online purchases in the United States.
|Drivers Of Online Purchases||Percentage Of Consumers|
|Direct home delivery||55%|
|Convenient way of shopping||48%|
|Available 24 by 7||41%|
|Large range of products.||38%|
|More options to compare.||35%|
|More product information||32%|
|Uninterrupted shopping experience||29%|
|No good reasons to prefer online shopping||5%|
- Clothes were the most returned purchases on the e-commerce platforms in the United States. It has a return rate of 16%. Besides, Bags and accessories are the second most returned items, with a return rate of 19%.
On the other hand, 51% of the e-commerce shoppers in the United States said that they did not return anything back.
The following table displays the most returned purchases on e-commerce platforms in the United States.
|Returned Items||Percentage Of e-Commerce Shoppers.|
|Bags & accessories||19%|
|Consumer electronics (e.g., TV, smartphones)||11%|
|Bags & luggage||10%|
|Cosmetics & body care||9%|
|Food & beverages||9%|
|Books, movies, music & games (excluding downloads)||6%|
|Furniture & household goods||6%|
|Sports & outdoor products||6%|
|Toys & baby products||6%|
|DIY & garden products||5%|
|Stationery & hobby supplies||5%|
|I did not send anything back||51%|
US e-Commerce Shoppers’ Demographics
- Adults between the age of 25 to 34 years comprised 30% of the e-commerce buyer mobile audience. Besides, adults between the age of 18 to 24 accounted for 48.9% of online shoppers.
The following table displays the percentage of mobile e-commerce shoppers in different age groups in the United States.
|Age Group||Percentage Of Mobile e-Commerce Shoppers.|
- 55.8% of male consumers shop from mobile e-commerce platforms. At the same time, 44.2% of female consumers tend to shop from mobile e-commerce platforms in the United States.
The following table displays the percentage of mobile e-commerce shoppers of different genders in the United States.
|Gender||Share Of Mobile e-Commerce Shoppers|
- More than 36% of adults with income less than 25k shop from mobile e-commerce sites. At the same time, 0% of adults with an income of more than 150k shop online.
The following table displays the percentage of online shoppers that shop through mobile e-commerce platforms in the United States according to their income.
|Income||Percentage Of Mobile e-Commerce Shoppers|
|Less than 25k||36.6%|
|25,000 to 39,999||15.5%|
|40,000 to 59,999||17.5%|
|60,000 to 74,999||7.3%|
|75,000 to 99,999||9.5%|
|100,000 to 149,999||13.8%|
|150k and above||0%|
Device Usage For e-Commerce Sales
- Smartphones are used by 66% of e-commerce consumers to purchase products in the United States. Besides, 41% of online shoppers use laptops to purchase goods online. Further, smart speakers are used by 16% of e-commerce shoppers to purchase a new product.
The following table shows the most used devices to purchase goods online by consumers in the United States.
|Device||Percentage Of Online Consumers.|
|Smart speakers (e.g. Amazon Echo)||12%|
|Streaming device (e.g. Apple TV, Chromecast)||11%|
|None of the above||5%|
- The average value of online shopping orders is usually the highest on Desktops in the United States. It has an average order value of 155.75 as of the second quarter of the year 2022.
It is followed by Tablet with the 2nd highest value of orders. The average value of the goods purchased online at a time on a tablet is recorded to be 112.29.
The following table depicts the average value of an e-commerce order placed using different devices in the United States.
|Device||Q2 2022||Q2 2021||Q2 2020|
- The conversion rates of online shoppers in the United States are usually high for desktop and tablet users. Desktop has a conversion rate of 3%, and tablet also has a conversion rate of 3%. At the same time, mobile phone users have a conversion rate of 2%.
The following table displays the conversion rates of e-commerce shoppers in the United States that use different devices.
- In the year 2023, mobile commerce sales are expected to own 8% of the total retail sales. Comparatively, in the year 2021, mobile e-commerce had a share of almost 6% in total retail sales.
Further, in the year 2025, mobile e-commerce is forecasted to acquire 10.4% of total retail sales.
The following table displays the percentage share of the total retail sales owned by mobile e-commerce sales.
|Year||Percentage Share Of The Mobile Retail e-Commerce Sales In The Total Retail Sales.|
Conclusion: US eCommerce Sales (2023)
That’s all about e-commerce statistics.
In the upcoming years, e-commerce in the United States is predicted to grow rapidly. Hence by the end of the year 2025., e-commerce in the United States is expected to cross 1.5 trillion dollars.
If you have enjoyed reading the above statistics, you can check out other latest stats related to e-commerce on our website.
Do you prefer e-commerce shopping over the traditional method of shopping? Let us know in the comment section below.