If you plan to begin an online apparel business without taking risks, starting with Amazon is the best option. There is no doubt that Amazon is the most popular and competitive platform for clothing. To sell clothing on Amazon, you don’t have to worry about running an online store, shipping, packaging, and so on; Amazon will handle everything for you. This article is helpful if you are willing to start an apparel business with Amazon.
Based on my own Amazon selling experience, I will explain How To Sell Clothes On Amazon in detail. As a bonus, you will also get tips to run a profitable clothing business on Amazon.
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Sell Clothes On Amazon
The following are steps for starting a business online from scratch on Amazon:
- Become familiar with the process
To start any business, first, you should understand how the process works. For this, you need to do detailed research on Amazon selling profitable products, how to get started, how order fulfillment takes place, etc.
When it comes to fulfillment, There are two options available by Amazon for fulfillment: fulfillment by merchant (FBM) and fulfillment by Amazon (FBA).
When you sell on Amazon through FBA, they handle your inventory management, packaging, shipping, returns, and customer service. This method is suitable for someone who doesn’t have time to handle all the work from their end. But you will be charged for these services and receive additional functionalities like Amazon Prime eligibility.
In contrast, Amazon FBM gives you the power over packing, shipping, and customer service. You can also include personalized notes with the package, among other options. The advantage of this model is that you can have a higher profit margin than with Amazon FBA.
You need to know a few fundamental things before starting an Amazon business.
- Choose a business model.
You have the option to choose from many business models while starting the Amazon clothing business. I have named a few of them: Private Label, Wholesale, Retail Arbitrage, Online Arbitrage, Dropshipping, and Handmade. Now let’s have a clear idea of how these models work.
Private Label: It is the most well-known and profitable company model. It involves selling clothing with your brand name as the first party on Amazon. Initially, starting with the private label might not seem to be easy, but it helps to build your brand awareness.
Handmade: This is the best option for designers or artists that create and sell clothing. In this model, rather than paying monthly sellers’ fees, you’ll pay a flat percentage. If you do not wish to manage fulfillment, you can use the FBA fulfillment method, for which you will be paid.
Retail Arbitrage: With this model, you will purchase clothing from a well-known brand from a marketplace at a discount and resell it on Amazon. If you are someone who wants to sell start selling quality products, this can be the preferred option.
Dropshipping: In this business model, you will not store any inventory. Instead, the order is fulfilled directly through the product supplier or manufacturer.
Wholesale: In this method, you purchase clothing of different brands from wholesalers and resell them on Amazon. You must have Amazon’s approval for each brand you sell.
These are the most commonly used business models in Amazon to sell clothing.
- Register as an Amazon Seller Account
Registering as an Amazon Seller Account is officially the first step to starting your Amazon clothing business. In this process, you must provide details like name, legal name, and contact number to make your Amazon seller account. It is equally important to read all the terms and conditions while providing the details.
- Get approval from the Amazon team.
After registering as a seller account, you need to fill in some important details to start listing the products. The information required in the form are
- Enter the Store name and Select Clothing & Accessories category
- Fill address and choose the shipping details of the order.
- Enter your GST details
- Request for approval
- List the clothing you want to sell through Amazon.
After getting approval, you can list the clothing you want to sell. You will have four options to list the products on Amazon; choose one of them.
- You can use the ‘Prepare your listings’ feature or’ Custom inventory template’ to list products in bulk.
- You should find all the necessary details on the product page, including pricing, images, barcodes, product category, descriptions, labels, shipping options, etc.
- Create product variations like color, size, etc., to make navigation and shopping easier.
This is the step-by-step guide on to Sell Clothing On Amazon. In the next section, I will give some handy tips for increasing the profitability of your business.
Useful Tips to To Sell Clothing On Amazon
After starting your online store, it is important to make it profitable. Here are a few tips to make your clothing shop successful:
- Choose the profitable clothing category: There are several categories in clothing like, women’s clothing, men’s clothing, kids’ clothing, bridal, casual, etc. So choose the category which is in demand and necessary in all the seasons and cater in that particular category. This is the best way to make your business profitable.
- Optimize the Product pages: You should make the product pages catchy for customers who visit your page. Some of the necessary optimations you need to do are to include high-volume keywords, high-quality images, product descriptions with good copy, etc. It helps to convert visitors into paying customers.
- Innovative marketing strategy: You should experiment with different strategies to increase your product page’s traffic. You can run paid ads and social media campaigns and use influencer marketing, providing discounts, coupons, etc., to increase awareness about your product. These are a few marketing tricks to attract your ideal customers.
- Provide a great shopping experience: You should create a good impression in the first order of the customer by providing satisfactory customer service. Some things that attract are attractive product packages, personalized notes, giveaways, etc.
Starting a clothing business on Amazon can result in lucrative profits. However, before you begin, you should understand the procedure and speak with people already in the same business. It helps you learn about the real-world experience that allows you to begin over without making any blunders. So, you must know how to start the Amazon business and the tricks to make it successful. I hope my article on How To Sell Clothing On Amazon has been useful in getting you started from scratch.