Deciding the best eCommerce platform isn’t a piece of cake, especially when you have two leading platforms in front of you – Wix and BigCommerce.
At this moment, If you make any wrong decision, you’ll end up ruining your business. So, it’s necessary to make the smart move by considering their advantages and disadvantages.
Relax! You don’t need to scroll through thousands of sites to get the proper information. We have come up with a detailed comparison between Wix and BigCommerce that will help you take the right decision instantly.
Let’s move forward!
Wix vs BigCommerce: Quick Comparison (2023)
Here is a quick comparison between Wix and BigCommerce:
|Ease of Use||Easy to use drag and drop website builder. More suited for simple websites.||Slight learning curve, but it provides more customization options for advanced users.|
|Templates||Hundreds of professional-looking templates across various niches.||Around 100 templates can be customized. Less stylish than Wix.|
|Online Store||Wix Stores are available on business plans. Limited features compared to dedicated ecommerce platforms.||Specifically designed for building online stores. Very flexible and has lots of built-in features.|
|Cost||The basic plan is free. Premium plans start at $16/month. Transaction fees of 2.9-5% on purchases.||Plans start at $39/month. No transaction fees on most plans.|
|SEO||SEO features like meta tags and Alt text are available. But the site structure is not optimal for SEO.||Lots of built-in SEO features and the ability to optimize the site for search engines.|
|Support||Phone, email, and chat support are available.||Phone, email, chat, and community forums are available.|
|Apps & Integrations||App Market with 350+ apps. Zapier integration.||700+ apps and integrations, including shipping, tax, accounting, etc.|
Wix Vs BigCommerce: Pricing Battles & Value for Money
Before comparing other features of these platforms, we must consider comparing their pricing packages first to check whether they are worth it or not. Though these platforms have been specially introduced to help beginners, there are still some subtle points to consider before choosing one.
So, let’s start with Wix.
Wix Pricing plans
Wix offers 4 paid plans (from $16 to $159) and one free plan to make this platform appropriate for beginners and experts.
If you have just started out, we suggest you go for its free plan to get accustomed to all the features offered by Wix.
Now, Wix diversifies its plans mainly into two categories – Website plans; and Business and eCommerce plans.
However, Website plans offer 4 different packages that are great for building a professional site. These are-
Now, Wix has an Enterprise plan for growing businesses. It is a new addition to Wix and has a custom price option.
In addition to that, Wix also charges extra transaction fees. And it depends on different geographical locations. For e.g.-
- US: 2.9%+ 0.3 USD
- Canada: 2.9%+0.3 CAD
- Europe: 1.9%+0.3 EUR
- UK: 2.1% + 0.2 GBP
- Switzerland:2.3% + 0.3 CHF
Now, let’s see what BigCommerce has to offer in its plans.
BigCommerce Pricing Plans
BigCommerce offers a total of 4 pricing plans. These are-
In BigCommmerce’s Standard plan, you’ll get all the basic features to set up an engaging online store. These are – unlimited storage and bandwidth, POS, mobile responsive storefront, real-time shipping, multi-channel and multi-currency selling options, SSL certificate, and many more.
On the other side, its Pro plan lets you enjoy abandoned cart recovery and persistent cart saver with all the basic features. In contrast, its Plus plan gives you a slight edge by offering a multi-storefront, unlimited API calls option with all the pro features. Also, in BigCommerce’s Plus plan, you can sell up to $400k per year.
For more details, do check out this page.
Now, when it comes to the Enterprise plan, it doesn’t have any fixed price. Rather, you’ll have a customized pricing package based on your needs and requirements. If you opt for this plan, you’ll get customized advice from BigCommerce sales experts, which is crucial to gain massive growth in a short period.
BigCommerce doesn’t charge transaction fees, but you have to pay extra if you use a credit card for payments. And it depends on your existing plan. For e.g.-
Baic: 2.59% + $0.49
Pro: 2.35%+ $0.49
Plus: 2.05%+ $0.49
Enterprise: 2.05%+ $0.49
You might also go for 15-day free trial option to check all the nitty-gritty features offered by this platform.
BigCommerce might seem a bit more expensive than Wix. But if you analyze deeply, you’ll find that every penny you pay for the BigCommerce plans is worth it. Because BigCommerce offers a range of premium features and options that are mandatory to grow your business exponentially. Even, BigCommerce has an unlimited storage option in every plan. But Wix has drawn a limitation here.
However, if you are a beginner, Wix might be a better choice, but the chances of growth are limited there.
Wix vs BigCommerce: Pros & Cons
Here are the benefits & drawbacks of using Wix and BigCommerce.
- Wix has an easy-to-use interface, so creating an online store with it is like adding a cherry on the cake.
- It has a huge template library with designer-made templates for every niche you can think of.
- Wix has two options for building your website: Wix ADI and Wix Editor.
- Wix ADI can create your website without you doing anything; you just need to give them input on how your website should look like.
- Wix comes with a free plan that allows you to create a website and add a few features.
- Wix does not offer dedicated eCommerce features like other eCommerce platforms like BigCommerce and Shopify.
- There is no multi-currency checkout option available on Wix.
- You get all the selling features in-built on BigCommerce; you will rarely need the help of any third-party integration.
- BigCommerce does not charge you any transaction fee whenever you make a sale in all of its plans.
- BigCommerce is one of the best eCommerce platforms for SEO that can help you rank your pages for specific queries.
- You can sell across multiple channels with BigCommerce.
- You can easily build a business from scratch and grow it exponentially with BigCommerce.
- There is a learning curve to BigCommerce, making it difficult to use for beginners.
- If you plan to sell your products through a multilingual online store, then there are options other than BigCommerce because it does not support multiple languages.
Wix Vs BigCommerce: Ecommerce Features
When it comes to the eCommerce feature comparison between these two platforms, many people suggest you not go for Wix as it offers very minimal and basic features.
Is it true? Does it offer limited simple features in comparison to BigCommerce?
We’ll answer here.
Wix eCommerce Features & Tools
Though it’s claimed that Wix’s eCommerce features are basic, we can tell you they are excellent and perfect for business growth. Let’s have a quick look at them.
- Social media integrations: Wix allows you to add your social media channels to boost engagement to your site.
- SEO: When it comes to SEO, Wix has pretty decent SEO functionalities that help you rank your site on SERPs. You are free to customize site infrastructure, meta description, product descriptions, and URLs to create an SEO-friendly store.
- Wix POS: It’ll allow you to create a streamlined payment process even in your brick-and-mortar shop. Just integrate mobile POS, and you are good to go!
- Multi-channel selling: This feature will let you sell your products on other leading platforms, including Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc.
- Wix ADI: With Wix ADI, you can create an alluring storefront within a fraction of a second.
- Wix App Market: If you aren’t satisfied with the built-in features, the Wix app marketplace has your back. You can add various third-party apps ( DropCommerce, Wix blogs, Wix stores) to meet your requirements.
- Abandoned Cart Recovery Option: You can activate Wix’s abandoned cart automation option to improve sales and foster customer retention.
- Security: Every Wix store comes with a free SSL certificate. Moreover, it has a range of other built-in features, including a customer log-in area, PCI Compliant, Double payment authentication, and so on.
BigCommerce Features & Tools
No need to say, BigCommerce is one of the giant eCommerce platforms that offer multiple premium features, including –
- Multi-storefront: This is a new addition to BigCommerce’s dashboard. You are now allowed to create and manage multiple storefronts from just one account.
- Social Commerce: Share and sell your products to various social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and so on.
- Brick-and-mortar selling: Manage your sales automatically in your brick-and-mortar shops with BigCommerce POS. It has more POS integrations ( Square, Clover, Vend) than other eCommerce platforms available in the market.
- Multi-currency selling: Make the payment process more streamlined with 100+ currency selling.
- Global CDN: It helps you load your site quickly, irrespective of locations and devices.
- SEO: Increase your store visibility by integrating several built-in SEO functionalities, including SEO-optimized URLs, customized metadata, and out-of-the-box robot.txt editing.
- Advanced Search: Make your store ready for complicated search criteria by integrating faceted search built with Elasticsearch.
- APIs: It’ll help you sync your data from various third-party tools to BigCommerce.
- Abandoned Cart Recovery: BigCommerce Plus, Pro, and Enterprise plan offer the abandoned cart recovery option to boost your sales.
- App Marketplace: Apart from these features, BigCommerce also offers a dedicated app marketplace with more than 600 apps ( both paid and free). You can integrate any of them to meet your needs.
Also, BigCommerce offers a range of shipping and payment methods to make online selling more seamless and streamlined.
As you can see, BigCommerce’s in-house eCommerce features are endless. Though BigCommerce is a bit more expensive than Wix, it has compensated for every penny by offering such extraordinary features.
Moreover, Wix POS is only available for US-based users only. This limitation gives a slight edge to BigCommerce.
So, if you are looking for the best eCommerce features, BigCommerce is more convenient than Wix.
Wix Vs BigCommerce: Themes & Designs
If you have stepped into this eCommerce business world, you’d know the importance of having an engaging and attractive storefront. So before choosing any eCommerce platform for your business, ensure it has enough designed templates to help you create a modern and alluring storefront.
Wix Themes & Designs
Wix offers more than 500+ eCommerce templates to choose from. Though some of them are not modern, most of them are designed by professionals and have attractive looks. These templates are categorized for different fields, including illustrator, portfolio, tech company, etc.
Each template comes with some unique features in itself. You can customize them based on your requirements.
Not only that, but Wix also offers a range of photos and videos to make your store more lively and attractive.
BigCommerce Themes & Designs
BigCommerce has 100+ themes (both paid and free) based on different industries. The paid themes range from $142 to $235.
You just have to choose your favorite industry, and it’ll show you the relevant results.
No need to say, all these templates are modern and feature-rich. For e.g. – If you select jewelry categories, you’ll get zoom features embedded into it.
Also, these themes are fully mobile-responsive and customizable. It means you have full control over designing your store and templates as per your choice.
As per our analysis, we find Wix has done a great job as per as themes and designs are concerned. Though BigCommerce isn’t too bad, but Wix gives you more control over customizing stores and templates.
Wix Vs BigCommerce: Ease of Use
If an eCommerce platform is easy-to-use, people love to purchase it as it eliminates extra hassles and costs of hiring coders/website builders. So, Wix or Woocommerce – who will win here? Let’s see.
Wix Ease of Use
As per our research and personal experience, we find Wix is one of the easiest eCommerce platforms available in the market.
It offers only two editing options – Wix ADI and the drag-and-drop method. With Wix ADI, you can customize a storefront with just a few clicks.
And, when it comes to adding products, descriptions, and other functionalities, you can do them easily by this drag-and-drop method.
So, we will say Wix is very simple and flawless. Whether you are tech-savvy or not, you can use this platform very easily.
BigCommerce Ease of Use
To be honest, BigCommerce is a bit hard to use. You might face problems while setting up a personalized storefront if you don’t have any prior tech knowledge.
To combat this, BigCommerce has now introduced a Store Design Tool that’ll make the process more streamlined than before. But still, navigating BigCommerce is more difficult than Wix.
So, we would recommend hiring a tech-savvy person while dealing with BigCommerce.
No doubt, Wix is more simple to use than BigCommerce. That’s why Wix is the best choice for beginners.
But remember, power comes with complexity. Though navigating BigCommerce needs some practice and knowledge, it’s worth it as BigCommerce focuses on exponential growth globally.
Wix Vs BigCommerce: Customer Support
An active customer support system makes your selling journey flawless and headache-free. Though both these platform offers a decent customer support system, there are still some subtle differences you should consider.
Wix Customer Support
Wix has a range of guidance, blogs, and tutorials that will come in handy as a self-guider. Another way of getting Wix customer support is via phone calls. Unfortunately, in Wix, call back operating system doesn’t work 24*7. It depends on the language you have chosen for your site. For e.g. –
If you have chosen English and French, the callback operating system works 24*7. But if you have chosen Danish, it’ll work Monday to Friday (9 AM-6 PM CEST). To know more, check here.
BigCommerce Customer Support
Bigcommerce’s customer support system is super active. If you have purchased its paid plans, you’ll get phone calls and live chat support from the team.
Also, you can send them personalized emails to resolve any kind of problems with BigCommerce. However, BigCommerce has a range of blogs and video tutorials on its official site. You can also take guidance from them.
And, if you purchase its Enterprise plan, you’ll get personal advice and guidance from the BigCommerce experts.
Honestly, the support system of both platforms isn’t up-to-the-mark. But still, BigCommerce offers an email support system that gives this platform a slight edge over Wix.
Why Should You Choose Wix?
Here are the reasons to choose Wix over BigCommerce:
- Hundreds of design templates
- Beginner-friendly and easy to use
- Custom domain and free hosting for the lifetime
- Advanced app marketplace
- Budget-friendly for every eCommerce business owner
- Ideal for newbie businesses
Why Should You Not Choose Wix?
Here are the reasons why you should not choose Wix:
- Ecommerce features are not appropriate for growing businesses.
- Its cheapest plans don’t offer eCommerce functionalities.
- The customer support system isn’t as active as BigCommerce.
Why Should You Choose BigCommerce?
Here are the reasons to choose BigCommerce over Wix:
- Value for money. Every penny you’ll spend is worth it.
- Advanced eCommerce features for massive business growth
- Multi-channel and multi-currency selling options
- Lots of POS integrations
- Feature-rich SEO functionalities
- Quick site-loading options
- Perfect for business globalization
- Premium templates and designs
- Ideal for growing businesses
Why Should You Not Choose BigCommerce?
Here are the reasons why you should not use BigCommerce:
- Expensive pricing packages
- Limited template options
- Complicated to navigate
Wix vs BigCommerce: Which One Should You Use?
Both Wix and BigCommerce have amazing features & functionalities which come in handy when you’re trying to establish an eCommerce store. But you can’t choose both of them. Here is an overview of both platforms to help you choose between them.
Choose BigCommerce If:
BigCommerce has amazing sales tools that can help growing businesses earn more revenue. You can use BigCommerce’s features to scale your business to the next level. You can use BigCommerce’s integrations to sell across multiple channels. You can integrate multiple payment methods into your store and receive payments in multiple currencies.
Choose Wix If:
Wix is for those who want more control over their websites or online stores. It gives you more customization options than BigCommerce. The best part is that Wix is much more affordable than BigCommerce, so it is best for individuals who are on a budget. You don’t need coding skills to design your website or online store on Wix.
What About Their Competitors?
We have compared Wix and BigCommerce with each other. Now, we’ll compare them with other leading eCommerce platforms to check their convenience. Let’s see:
|Value for Money||4.5||4.8||4.9||4.7||4.4|
|Ease of use||8/10||6/10||8/10||7/10||7/10|
Who Wins This Battle? Wix Vs BigCommerce (2023)
Remember, nothing comes with absolute perfection. That’s why, before you conclude, just take a minute and think about your end goals. Are you a beginner who just have started out his eCommerce business, or are you looking forward to growing your business globally?
Once you are ready with the answer, then choose your best suit accordingly.
Now, to ease your effort, we will give you some advice –
If you are a beginner with a limited business budget, go for Wix without a second thought. But if you already have a growing business, try BigCommerce to scale it to the next level.
However, we’ll announce BigCommerce to be the winner here. We believe great powers come with great expenses and complexities.
The same is the case with BigCommerce. If you want to taste massive business growth, BigCommerce is the best option.
What’s your thought? Let us know below.
If you have a budding eCommerce business, no doubt Wix commerce is the right choice for you. But, it’s not for exponential business growth.
Yes, Wix charges an industry-rate fee of 2.9%+$0.30. But it depends on various geographical locations.
Yes, BigCommerce is more expensive than its competitors. But it’s worth it as it offers premium features that are efficient for business growth.
BigCommerce is a great platform for medium to large businesses because of its amazing eCommerce features. You can easily manage your online business because of its amazing customer support and reliable staff. You also get access to amazing marketing & eCommerce tools that will greatly help your business.
BigCommerce is one of the best eCommerce platforms that integrates with many platforms, including Wix. You can use BigCommerce Wix Integration to sell on multiple channels at once.
One of the biggest drawbacks of BigCommerce is that you have to pay a lot to get access to abandoned cart functionality when you compare it to its competitors. It also has a limit on how much you can sell in each plan; if you exceed the limit, then you will need to upgrade your plan.